The Law Society of Upper Canada ("Society") may change any part of this Privacy Notice ("Notice") at any time. Changes will be effective when the changed Notice is posted on this web site ("Site"). You should check the Notice frequently for changes by checking the date of "Last Update" at the top of this document.
When you use this Site, the Society collects the following information ("Information"):
- Contact information, such as name, company name, address, billing address, phone number, fax number and e-mail address.
- Billing and other financial information, such as credit card information.
- Automatic information received and stored whenever you use this Site, such as internet protocol (IP) address used to connect your computer to the Internet, login, e-mail address, password, computer and connection information, such as browser type and version, operating system and platform, the full Uniform Resource Locators (URL) clickstream to, through and from this Site, including date and time, cookie number and products that you viewed or searched for.
- Information from other sources, such as updated delivery and address information from the Society's carriers or other third parties.
- Other information, such as the contents of e-mails sent or submitted to the Society through this Site.
The Information is used to provide you the products and services made available on this Site, including to fill your requests for products or services, to respond to your communications to the Society, to communicate with you, to customize your use of this Site, to administer this Site, to diagnose technical problems with this Site, to develop new products and services and to market products and services.
Sharing of information
The Society may employ other companies and individuals to perform functions on its behalf, such as filling requests, delivering packages, sending postal mail and e-mail, analyzing data, providing marketing assistance, processing credit card payments and providing customer service. These companies and individuals will have access only to the Information that is needed to perform their functions. These companies and individuals may not use the Information for other purposes.
The Society may release the Information when the Society believes release is appropriate to comply with law, to enforce or apply the terms and conditions of use of this Site and other agreements and to protect the rights, property or safety of the Society and others who use this Site. This includes exchanging the Information with other companies and organizations for fraud protection and credit-risk reduction. The Society will not sell, rent, share or otherwise disclose the Information for commercial purposes other than its own.
If the Information is to be disclosed other than as set out above, the Society shall notify you to give you the opportunity to choose not to have the Information so disclosed.
By using this Site and providing the Society with the Information, you consent to the collection, use and disclosure of the Information as specified in this Notice. You represent and warrant that you are lawfully authorized to consent to the collection, use and disclosure of information that you provide the Society about a third party. You will indemnify and save harmless the Society, its benchers, officers and employees for all claims resulting from the collection, use and disclosure of information about a third party that you provide the Society.
We have security measures in place to protect the misuse and unauthorized disclosure of the Information. For example, to protect the security of the Information during transmission, the Society uses software which encrypts the Information.
The internet is not a totally secure medium. The Society does not guarantee that its security measures will always be totally effective.
Information you can access
Upon request, the Society will give you access to the information collected about you that it has retained. Such requests should be directed to: firstname.lastname@example.org