Emerging Issues in Directors' and Officers' Liability 2009: Advising Clients in Recessionary Times
Program originally held on February 27, 2009
The economic downturn has brought with it the start of a trend against corporate excesses of all kinds. This will impact directors' and officers' liability in a major way — and provide opportunities for counsel to give advice in a wide variety of cases. Recent case law, increased media attention and shareholder activism also spotlight the critical role that directors and officers play in corporate governance. This publication examines the sources of liability and offer risk management techniques for directors and officers who owe fiduciary responsibilities to the corporation and its shareholders.
View Table of Contents (PDF)
Page Count: 197
Program duration: 3 hour(s) 25 minute(s)
You will learn about:
- Risk Management at the Board in a Recessionary Environment - What Directors and Officers Should be Doing Differently
- Getting Started - The Leave Application under Bill 198
- What Does the BCE Decision Mean for Corporate Governance?
- What Does the BCE Decision Mean for Corporate Governance? (Panel Discussion)
- Personal Liability of Officers and Directors Under the Oppression Remedy
- Potential Liability for Environmental Cleanup
- The Use of Independent Committee Investigations to Inform Criminal Law Enforcement
- Directors' and Officers' Insurance Update
Note: Viewing archived webcasts, video replays, or other on demand or recorded program formats without a colleague is now an eligible educational activity for the annual CPD Requirement for up to 6 CPD Hours per calendar year.
Note: Effective April 26, 2012 new members may now apply any program or activity that contains a minimum of 0.5 Professionalism Hours toward the annual CPD requirement.
Accredited programs that took place prior to 2012 are accredited for a one year period and will appear in the Member Portal for 1 year from program date. After that time they are no longer accredited for professionalism hours. Members may apply the time spent viewing these programs toward their Substantive Hours, or they may apply for re-accreditation of the program. 2012 programs are valid for 3 years from the program date. To apply for accreditation of the professionalism content in this program please visit: http://rc.lsuc.on.ca/jsp/cpd/cpdAccredProcess.jsp